Recipe Of The Week: Gluten-Free Mince Pies
It wouldn't be Christmas without mince pies, and although there are many gluten-free recipes, our favourite has to be this Tesco real food creation. A very quick and easy recipe for a tasty festive treat!
- 125g (4oz) butter, cubed
- 200g (7oz) gluten-free plain flour
- 1tbsp icing sugar, plus extra to dust
- 2 clementines, finely zested
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 250g (8oz) gluten-free mincemeat
- 25g (1oz) toasted flaked almonds
- 1-2 tsp brandy (optional)
- 50g (2oz) dried cherries or cranberries
- 1 tbsp milk, for brushing
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- For the pastry, put the butter and the flour in a food processor and pulse until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Add the sugar, half the clementine zest, the almond extract and 2 tbsp of cold water, then mix until the mixture forms a smooth ball (add a little more water if needed).
- Wrap in clingfilm and chill for at least 30 minutes. Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 6, 200°C, fan 180°C. In a bowl, mix the mincemeat with the remaining zest, almonds, brandy (if using) and dried fruit. Set aside. Roll out the pastry to about 2-3mm (1/8 in) thick. Cut out 12 x 7-8cm (3-3 1⁄2in) rounds using a fluted cutter. Press into a greased 12-hole pie tin, then pierce the base of each round with a fork. 4 Put 1 tbsp of mincemeat into each hole.
- Cut out pastry stars to make a lid for the pies. Brush with milk and sprinkle with sugar. Bake for 15-18 minutes until golden, then transfer to a wire rack to cool. Dust with icing sugar, to serve.