Recipe Of The Week: Gluten-Free Banana & Walnut Cake
- 3 large eggs
- 200ml rapeseed oil
- 3 bananas, mashed
- 225g coconut sugar, sifted
- 225g fine cornmeal (polenta), sifted
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 2 tsp baking powder (gluten-free)
- 100g walnuts, broken up
- 100g sultanas
- 220g Philadelphia (or other full-fat) cream cheese (or dairy-free cheese)
- 80g slightly salted butter or coconut oil
- 2 tsp custard powder
- 4 tbsp icing sugar
- 60g walnuts halves
- Preheat the oven to 325°F, gas mark 3, 160°C, (140°C fan-assisted).
- In a food mixer, or by hand, beat the eggs. Then add the sunflower oil.
- In a large mixing bowl sift the sugar, cornmeal, baking powder and salt, then add to the egg mixture. Beat until combined.
- Fold in the mashed bananas, then add the broken walnuts and sultanas.
- Line the base and sides of a non-stick 9in (23cm) spring form tin with parchment paper.
- Pour in the mixture and bake on the middle shelf of the preheated oven for 55 minutes.
- Remove from the oven when cooked and place on a cooling rack. After ten minutes, release the spring form tin and leave to cool.
- To make the cream cheese frosting, beat by hand the cream cheese and butter until smooth. Add the custard powder and icing sugar.
- When the cake is cooled, ice the cake, sides and top and decorate with walnut halves.